The Looking Sideways art show opened last night at the Vans Wängl Tängl Presented by G-Shock in Mayrhofen, Austria. A couple of hundred party-goers and art fans checked out works on display by Fos, French, Blaise Rosenthal, Ed Templeton, Tristan Huber, Corey Smith, Schoph, Danny Wainwright, Danny Larsen and Tim Karpinski.
"It’s been great to be part of a show that brings together such a strong line-up of artists and it’s pretty amazing to see everyone’s different styles", said artist Schoph, who used the occasion to premiere a new work called Dead Questions in the Eyes. "I’ve been in plenty of shows now but the Looking Sideways crew have definitely raised the bar in terms of the space and the quality of the work".
Other highlights at the show included a huge 6’ by 4’ illustration by skater and artist French, which dominated the gallery in Mayrhofen’s Europahaus, and the start of a huge live art piece by Looking Sideways art director Owen Tozer. It’s being created using images sent in by members of the public, who were invited to contribute to the project by uploading images of their eyes looking sideways to the LS Facebook page, or by emailing them to email@example.com.
The final piece will be used to create the graphics for an exclusive run of limited edition Looking Sideways x Endeavor x Vans Wängl Tängl snowboards, with the winners of the boards chosen from those who contributed images.
Tozer and some of the artists in attendance at the show will be working on the piece on site at the Europahaus throughout the week, so members of the public have until Friday 23rd March to send in their eyes and have a chance of winning one of the boards.
Tomorrow night’s music line up will continue the “Contest-ival” spirit of the event with a heavy line up for the FREE music concert at the Arena in Mayrhofen. Semprre Caoz, Those Furious Flames and Truckfighters will play the show headlined by Seether.
For more info on the teams check out wangltangl.com.
Follow the latest news here:
For more information about the show and about Looking Sideways, check out wearelookingsideways.com or find them on Facebook and Twitter (@WeLookSideways).
Sponsors: Vans, Red Bull, G-Shock, Fiat, Mayrhofner Bergbahnen
Wangl Taengl Eventhall Foto: Christian Boehm
What a week which is planned for the 10th Anniversary of the VANS Wängl Tängl 2012 presented by G-Shock, it’s all but impossible to cover it in a single breath. So much, in fact, a single post hardly does it justice. To create as close to the complete overview with the quickest and easiest access to everything that’s happening, who’s coming, who’s competing, who’s playing, who’s creating… and roughly when!
Welcome to the itemized overview…
TÄNGL TEAMS – SNOW ELEMENT MAIN EVENT - TUES 20th – WED 21st MARCH
– Team #1: Team 99 – Steve Gruber, Rudi Kröll & Friedl Kolar
– Team #2: The Djudes – Chris Kröll, Mario Wanger & Tom Klocker
– Team #3: Team Absolut – Herby Thaler, Michi Stanschitz & Phips Gruber
– Team #4: The Italian Connection – Marco Grigis, Stefano Munari & Filippo Kratter
– Team #5: Team Homies – Tonton Holland, Jules Reymond & Nico Tille
– Team #6: Team X-Double – Wolle Beer, Steve Grumser & Max Glatzl
– Team #7: Triple Cock – Janne Korpi, Peetu Piiroinen & Ville Uotila
– Team #8: Off The Wall – Iouri Podladtchikov, Arthur Longo & Eric Willett
– Team #9: Since 1966 – Tyler Chorlton, Tobi Strauss & David Bertschinger Karg
– Team #10: The Collective – Jamie Nicholls, Boris Bühler & Tor Lundström
– Team #11: YMCA - Mathias Weissenbacher, Clemens Schattschneider & Adrian Krainer
TÄNGL QUALI TEAMS - SNOW ELEMENT QUALI – SAT 17th – SUN 18th MARCH
– Team #1: Flying Birds – Georg Huber, Stephan Höllwarth & Roland Tschoder
– Team #2: Boarders Valley – Luca Kuppelwieser, Corsin Simeon & Men Schmidt
– Team #3: Natural Born Chillaz – Deniz Cinek, Mike Knobel & Roger Schuler
– Team #4: Real Family – Jeremie Unterberger, Seppl Ramsbacher & Georgi Mihaylov
– Team #5: House of Hungerpain - Vincent Genannt, Charlie Idda & Kevin Mills
– Team #6: Boarder Boys – Tobi Grünwald, Daniel Kopp & Max Grünwald
– Team #7: Starpissnes – Max Pölzl, Christoph Klaushofer & Patrick Schönleitner
– Team #8: Team F.A.T. – Alex Walch, Flo Heim & Tom Tramnitz
– Team #9: Young Shreds IBK – Philipp Kundratitz, Steve Spiss & Johannes Handle
– Team #10: Good, Bad and Ugly – Peter Sandner, Marcus Bernhard & Stephan Wimmer
– Team #11: After Bääänger – Patrick Cinca, Benny Mösl & Dani Mösl
– Team #12: The Swingers – Michael Macho, Christian Weber & Benni Hopfgartner
– Team #13: The Gasthof Crew – Bob van Unnik, Will Smith & Bas Mons
– Team #14: Cunning Stunts - Paul Dreher, Patrick Held and Philipp Frötscher
– Team #15: reLAAXed – Thomas Laich, Tobias Pfortmüller and Matthias Wattinger
– Team #16: Team Kitzsteinhorn – Stefan Morocutti,Martin Liebmann,Thomas Obersteiner
Skate: Julien Benoliel Foto: Erwin Polanc
TÄNGL TEAMS – SKATE ELEMENT MAIN EVENT
– Team #1: Team Jäger – Oliver Gordon and Michi Nadler
– Team #2: Team Hobo – Sam Partaix and Dominik Dietrich
– Team #3: Team Hobnobs – Manhead & Andy Scott
– Team #4: Team Inadaptados – Alvarez and David Sanchez
– Team #5: Team Jinetes – Ibon Marino and Alain Goikoetxea
– Team #6: Team Bats – Martino Cattaneo and Kevin Blase
– Team #7: Team Dutchy’s – Daan Van Der Linden and Nassim Guammaz
– Team #8: Team Zwimi – Micky Iglesias and Phil Zwijsen
– Team #9: Team Incognito – Kris Vile and Jake Collins
– Team #10: Team Skatemalmö – Surprise…
TÄNGL QUALI TEAMS - SKATE ELEMENT QUALI
VANS LOOKING SIDEWAYS VERNISSAGE
These artists will exhibit their work at the Vans Looking Sideways Vernissage open to the public at the Europahaus in Mayrhofen on Wednesday 21st until Friday 23rd March.
Check the Profiles of Featured Artists:
FULL WEEK MUSIC AND GIG GUIDE
Saturday, 17th March:
FM4 Club Brück’n Stadl with DJ DSL, Flip & Average und DJ Phekt.
Sunday, 18th March:
Red Bull Brandwagen street concert with the Discodogs Live and Wax Wreckaz.
Monday, 19th March:
Duzz Down San Label Night in the Scotland Yard Pub with Chrisfader & Testa, Phil Da Funk and Feux.
Tuesday, 20th March:
Basti Stein Groove Project
Wednesday, 21th March:
Funk Lounge with Twintowas present 60 Minits Of Funk.
Thursday, 22th March:
FREE Vans Open Air Rock Night
with Seether, Those Furious Flames, Truckfighters and Sempre Caoz.
Friday, 23th March:
FREE Open Air Hip Hop Night
with M.O.P, Banana Klan presents Roots Manuva, Ricky Ranking, Seanie T and DJ MK, Lylit, Ill Mindz, Blak Twang, and Snowgoons.
Friday, 23th March:
Aftershow Party ft. Snowgoons & DJ X-Rated
Timothy John Karpinski Jr is a Portland, Oregon-based artist originally from Edison, New Jersey who got his first break creating graphics for the pro model snowboard of his childhood friend Danny Kass. Following X-Games and Olympic success, Kass successfully launched the glove company Grenade, with Tim as creative director. Tim is currently art director at Gnu Snowboards, runs the Together Gallery in Portland, and is an acclaimed artist having exhibited at Vancouver, Miami, San Francisco and London.
“Karpinski is that rare combo of ‘dreamer’ and ‘doer’,” says Andrew Hosner of the Los Angeles-based Thinkspace Gallery. “Many encompass one of these traits, seldom both. He is a master of wit, a lover of folk and owner of one of the finest art reference libraries this side of the Mississippi.”
“From a young age I’ve always been making things,” says Tim himself. “Building forts turned into building skate ramps which lead to building art installations. I love the art making process, from the initial spark of the ‘idea’, the creation to the finished product. Art for me is very personal and everything I make is a direct reflection on my feelings about this world and my struggle and fascination with trying to understand it and find my purpose within it.”
Tim will be exhibiting at the Looking Sideways art show at Wangl Tangl in March of 2012.